First off, lets start with what the process of applying lash extensions is! The service starts by prepping the lashes and then applying a lash pad to protect your bottom lashes. I then map out what length/look we are planning to go with. Your lash extensions can be as natural or as dramatic as you want.
Types of lash sets vary from classic to mega volume, no matter the type of set always ensure you are working with a certified artist. I always recommend finding a certified artist as lash/eye health is not something to be taken lightly. Always research your artist before booking and ask them any questions you have!
Now let’s get into the do’s and don’ts of lash extensions.
Let’s start with the DO’s:
· DO your research to make sure your lash artist is certified and the right fit for you
· DO arrive to your appointment with no makeup and clean lashes
· DO check out your lash artists photos to see the quality of their work
· DO make sure you are washing you lashes with a lash specific shampoo to maintain better retention on your set
· DO make sure you are brushing through your lashes regularly to avoid tangles
· DO invest in a satin or silk pillowcase which is less likely to catch on lashes in your sleep
· DO sleep on your back to avoid pre-mature lash loss
Now onto the DONTS:
· DON’T get your lashes wet for the first 48 hours, this includes swimming, saunas, excessive sweating, etc.
· DON’T pick or pull at your lashes
· DON’T wear mascara on your extensions!!
· DON’T use an oil-based makeup remover
· DON’T wear makeup to your lash appointment
There are also a few other things that can affect your lash retention. Things such as chemotherapy, thyroid medication or extremely oily skin. Your lash extensions are going to last with a skilled artist and proper at home care. Lashes should be filled every 2-3 weeks depending on your lash cycle. There are a few times throughout the year that retention can last less time such as spring and fall shed when your lash cycle is restarting.
Allergic reactions can happen so make sure you advise your artist and they will be able to take appropriate measures.
Lash extensions are awesome for those who want to wake up with beautiful lashes and are willing to follow proper aftercare. If you are ever unsure about something with your lashes or about the process always ask your artist! Want to know more about lashes, leave a comment below on what type of blog post you would like to see next!
Emerald Beauty Company